Spring Quarry Safety Campaign
Irish Concrete Federation (ICF) and Health and Safety Authority (HSA)
Clive Kelly of Clive Kelly Safety was asked to present on Quarry Safety at the Spring Quarry Safety Campaign held in March 2021. The Quarry Safety Campaign is hosted by the Irish Concrete Federation (ICF) and Health and Safety Authority (HSA).
Clive Kelly covered topics including:
- Lifting Equipment Safety.
- All round Vision, Blind Spot Survey, Metre Stick Rule.
- Brake Testing Requirements.
The Mobile Plant and Machinery Safety Walk around videos on this site provide important complementary insights on mobile plant and machinery safety.
Lifting Equipment Safety
Lifting Equipment key points covered:
- Lifting plans – preparing for a lifting operation;
- Forklift safe working load;
- Maximum lifting capacity calculation for excavators;
- Safety requirements for Quarry Lifting Equipment.
- Hand signals (chart).
All round Vision, Blind Spot Survey, Metre Stick Rule
Some of the key points covered:
- SHAWW Quarry Regulations 2008 – Reversing and visual aids required for vehicles;
- Best Solutions for machine operators
- Cameras V Convex mirrors,
- AAVM – All Around Vision Monitor Camera System,
- Reversing Sensors,
- Using a ‘Spotter’.
Brake Testing Requirements for Quarries
Quarry vehicle break maintenance and testing – Key Points:
- Brake Testing requirements at quarry locations has been revised and updated by the Health and Safety Authority (June 2019);
- A brake testing instrument can be used to determine the maximum achievable brake ratio;
- Electronic brake testing using a calibrated brake test meter should be carried out every 3 months;
- Each location must have a minimum of one brake check area for daily brake checks;
- The brake check area should be selected with consideration given to safe stopping.